CANADA AT WAR #2

This five-scenario pack is compatible with MMP's ASL™ System and 

modifiable to be used with other miniature Wargaming systems. 

Canada at War #2 uses ASL boards (16,17,22,33,40,41,44)


21 August 1944..... General Sir Bernard Montgomery ordered British and Canadian Armies to pursue their remnants. Freed of the restriction, which held them in position until their still dangerous enemy could fight no longer, they turned eastward from Normandy towards the Seine. At Vimoutiers on the Trun-Orbec road, the Canadian Black Watch came under fire from a German rearguard which could only be cleared with the assistance of the Le Regiment de Maisonneuvre. Passing through them B-Company of the Calgary Highlanders encountered a party of Germans in the process of demolishing a bridge. Racing forward, they drove the German engineers from the bridge. Promptly the German Demolition Guard counter-attacked, supported by a tank.....

9 March 1945..... Given the code name Veritable, the offensive was launched on February 8. Mud and flooded ground hampered the advance and at times troops floundered through water three feet deep. The Scout Platoon of A-Company with the attached the Flame Platoon, Lake Superior Scottish Regiment were order to go around he southern end of the woods and rejoin the remainder of the company south of Winnenthal. On the way there they were fired upon by small arms from building along a near by road. From the volume of fire it appeared that the Scout Platoon would not be able to clear them with the very few men at their disposes for dismounted work. After laying covering fire, the Scout Platoon Commander called forward the pair of Badgers to burn out the Germans.....

5 April 1945..... While the Canadian centre and right flank were making rapid progress north of Twente Canal the Canadian 3rd Division, on the left sector, was preparing to capture Zutphen and Deventer. The German Infantry Division 361, reinforced with a parachute training battalion of Parachute Division 6 defended the eastern approaches of Zutphen. The 9th Canadian Brigade encounter stiff resistance on the approach to the town and was slowly ground to a halt by the stubborn defenders, many of them "teen-aged" youngsters. The morning of 5 April brought a renewed attacked by the 9th Canadian Brigade. Launching a two-pronged thrust with the North Nova Scotia Regiment on the right and Highland Light Infantry of Canada on the left, supported by the tanks of the Sherbrooke Fusiliers and Crocodiles of the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry, the Canadians took up the attack towards Zutphen...

26 February 1945..... The 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade was given the task of opening up the approaches to the Calcar-Udem escarpment. At 0830 hours on 26 February the Regiment de la Chaudiere surge into battle. Fifteen minutes later, the third battalion of the 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade, the North Shore Regiment moved out. Keppeln, the North Shore objective, was just another farming hamlet on the Calcar-Udem road. From aerial photographs and intelligence reports Keppeln appeared undefended. However, 45 minutes after the Canadians' advance had begun , the German Paratroopers in Keppeln opened fire as the Canadians crossed an open area about 500 yards in front of the hamlet. The Canadians suffering heavy casualties from the German Machine-guns, tanks and 88s withdrew. At 1415 hours a new attack was launched by a tank-cum-infantry force made up of 42 men of Lt. Harry Nutter's North Shore Platoon, riding atop 13 tanks of Major John Powell's C Squadron, First Hussar Regiment. Following closely behind was A and B Companies and the Flame Section of the Carrier Platoon of the North Shore Regiment.....

17 September 1944..... On a series of hills running south-east from Fort de la Creche through St. Martin to Mont Lambert, then south to Herquelingue and from there south-west to St. Etienne and Nocquet were the main German defences. Minefields and wire protected well-armed entrenchments and concrete pillboxes from which machine-guns could lay down interlocking belts of fire. The 10,000 men of the Bodenstendige Division 326 were mainly low-category fortress troops, however their Russian Front veteran commander Generalleutenant Ferdinand Heim commanded them. Immediately before the attack, Mont Lambert and the other main enemy-defended areas on the east side of the port would be struck by RAF heavy bombers, while artillery neutralized the German guns and positions on the flanks. Brigadier Rockingham well knew that his Brigade's primary objective, the crest of Mont Lambert, was a formidable objective for one of his understrength battalion, no matter how heavily it might be supported....


BACK